I have been scone crazy lately and love walking through Earthfare and looking at their different varieties of scones.
I attempted my own the other day and they turned out pretty good. I need to keep experimenting until I find a really good one.
Here is what I did. I got the recipe from All Recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar (I used about 1/4 a cup) trying to eliminate the sugar, I will try with honey next time
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Stir the oatmeal, flours, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter or two forks and cut in the butter with the flour mixture until crumbly and well blended. Stir the milk into the flour mixture until just combined. Lightly stir in the pecans and blueberries. Collect the dough into a ball and pat into a large circle about 1 inch high. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with 2 tablespoons milk.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes
Anyone have any good healthy scone recipes? Send them my way, please!