A friend of mine has an eggplant she did not want and gave it to me. I have never eaten eggplant and thought I would give it a try. So here is my venture with Eggplant Parmesan. I got the recipe from allrecipes.com.
I only had one eggplant, so I cut the recipe in half. We actually liked the final result. I am not sure if I would buy eggplant but it was fun to give it a try. I think you either like it or you do not!
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Place sliced eggplant in a colander and sprinkle salt over eggplant and let stand 10 minutes; rinse salt and pat dry.
3. Dip eggplant in egg then in bread crumbs. Place a single layer on a sheet pan.
4. Bake until tender, about 5-7 minutes on each side.
5. Add 1 cup tomato sauce to 9×13 baking dish, half of the eggplant, mozzarella and parmesan cheese; repeat layering process finishing with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.